Dr. Ramirez has a special interest in the clinical and basic science of orthopaedic surgery that will translate into new orthopaedic technological advancement. A recepient of several research and education fellowships such as the Doris Duke research fellowship, NSF REU research fellows, and the FDA Medical Device Fellowship Program, Dr. Ramirez is involved in several studies aimed at developing new orthopaedic thechnologies. Special areas of interest include:
- Use of 3-dimensional imaging for medical education, preoperative surgical planning, and virutal surgery
- Reducing infection in total joint replacement
- Clinical outcomes total shoulder replacement and rotator cuff surgery.
- Orthopaedic device development
- Clincial and basic science of Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) in shoulder and elbow conditions.
RESEARCH SITES AND COLLABORATION
Dr. Ramirez is clinical assistant professor at the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria (UICOMP). He currently works with on several projects with students and faculty both at the college of medicine and the college of engineering in Urbana.
Dr. Ramirez is a collaborative partner at the OSF JUMP Trading Simulation center, where he is currently working with the biomedical engineers and students in the development of virtual reality software for preoperative planning, developing a shoulder dislocation simulation model, among several other projects.
- Day CS, Ramirez MA: Thumb Metacarpophalangeal Arthritis: Arthroplasty or Fusion? Hand Clin 2006:22:211-220.
- Ramirez MA, Rodriguez EK, Zurakowski D, Richardson LC. Detection of Orthopaedic Implants In-vivo by walk-through metal detectors. The Orthopedic Journal at Harvard Medical School. 2006. 118-119
- Ramirez MA, Rodriguez EK, Zurakowski D. Richardson LC. Detection of Orthopedic Implants by High-sensitivity walk-through metal detectors. J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 89:742-746, 2007.
- Day CS, Yeh AC, Franko O, Ramirez MA, Krupat E. Musculoskeletal Medicine: An Assessment of the Attitudes and Knowledge of Medical Students. Academic Medicine. 82(5):452-457, May 2007
- Ramirez MA, Means KR. Digital Soft Tissue Trauma: A Concise Primer of Soft Tissue Reconstruction of Traumatic Hand Injuries. . 2011;31:110-20
- Chacko AT, Ramirez MA, Ramappa AJ, Richardson LC, Appleton PT, Rodriguez EK. Does Late Night Hip Surgery Affect Outcome? . 2011 Aug;71(2):447-53.
- Ramirez, MA. Murthi AM. Shoulder Dislocation in the Elderly Patient. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2012 Oct;20(10):615-22.
- Ramirez MA, Murthi AM. Total elbow arthroplasty in a patient with proximal radioulnar synostosis. Curr Orthop Pract 2012 Sep;23(5):512-4
- Ramirez, MA, Ramirez, JM, Murthi AM: Reverse Total shoulder replacement for irreparable rotator cuff tears and cuff tear arthropathy. Clin Sports Med. 2012 Oct;31(4):749-5
- Ramirez, MA, Ramirez JM, Murthi AM. Multimodal Local Infiltration Analgesia in Total shoulder Replacement. Pain Manage. (2013) 3(4), 1-3
- Petraglia CA, Ramirez, MA, Parks BG, Murthi AM. Glenohumeral Pressure with Surface Replacement Arthroplasty Versus Hemiarthroplasty. Orthopedics. 2014 Sep 1:37(10)
- Ramirez MA, Murthi AM.Biomechanics of reconstruction constructs. In: Dines JS, Altchek DW, editors. Elbow Ulnar Collateral Ligament Injury: A Guide to Diagnosis and Treatment.New York: Springer; 2015. p. 135-40.
- Ramirez MA, Murthi AM. Point/counterpoint. Chronic locked anterior dislocations: soft tissue allografts. In: Dodson CC, Dines DM, Dines JS, Walch G, Williams GR, editors. Controversies in Shoulder Instability. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2014. p. 156-60
- Ramirez, MA. Parks BG, Murthi AM. Olecranon tip Autograft for irreparable coronoid fractures. A biomechanical Study. Hand. Dec 3 2015.
- Ramirez, MA; Ramirez, JM; Murthi, A Particulated Juvenile Cartilage Graft (DeNovo®NT) for the Management of a Glenohumeral Cartilage Lesion: A Case Report. JBJS Case Connect 2015;5:e56 d
- Ramirez, M. Neary, T, Ramirez J, Stein J, Murthi A. Multimodal Local Infiltration Analgesia In Shoulder Replacement: A Randomized, Double Blinded, Placebo-Controlled Study..
- Ramirez, MA, Stein JS, Murthi AM. Varus Posteromedial Elbow Instability. Hand Clin. 2015 Nov;31(4):557-63. doi: 10.1016/j.hcl.2015.06.005. Epub 2015 Aug 7.
- Ramirez, MA. Murthi, AM.. Distal ulna allograft for proximal humerus fractures. Tech Shoulder Elbow Surg 2016;17:38-42.
Dr. Ramirez recently presented his study entitled “Lacertus Fibrosus vs Achilles Tendon Allograft for Chronic Distal Biceps Tendon Tears: A Biomechanical Study.” At the American Academy of Orthopaedics Surgeons Annual Meeting, March 4, 2016 in Orlando Fl.